Friday, June 09, 2006

Laverdar Is Now Creamy

I think I have bad karma with Rowan 4 ply cotton. This is my 2nd attempt using Rowan 4 ply cotton. The first FO using this yarn was Orangina in Turquoise. The colour faded in spots randomly after even with 1 wash. After several washes it becomes worse. To avoid Orangina being trash in the bin I saved it by dyeing it. I dye it in Black to cover the Turquoise. It turns out not really that well but I still can wear Orangina now.

This bad luck happen again with Lavendar. While I was blocking it, I realised the colour faded again. This time around it is worse than Orangina. It faded to pink at certain parts of the dress (too bad I forgot to capture it in photo). Some spots is real big. I was really frustrated last few days just thinking about this and what I should do with it. Its like wasting the whole 8 ball of yarn and definately my EFFORTS. Hubby suggested I should complete seaming it and later find a way to solve the problem. The only idea that I got to solve this, is definately to dye it. Since the dress is in Lavendar, the only option I have is either to find the same shade or else dye it in darker shade to cover the colour (but I don't want this dress to be in black or maroon or any darker shade). Its kinda of hard to get dyeing supplies in my area but I got a bit of luck. Yesterday, while I was browsing thru in the Hardware Stores, I manage to find some Dylon dye and Dygon colour remover. I couldn't find the same shade though, but with the colour remover I was thinking to remove Lavendar and dye it again in a pinkish shade.


I successfully removed Lavendar and the dress now is in Creamy colours. At the moment, I'm thinking to leave it as it is in Cream. I think I like it better in this shade. At least now the dress is still wearable. Well come to think about it, I'm not that REALLY REALLY bad luck yah. The dress still survives and I'm even wearing it to work today.

Thats all about my bad karma and bad luck stories. Have a nice weekend everyone.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Your dress is gorgous Doreen. You look fantastic in it. I'm sorry you hear about your bad encounter with 4ply cotton again. May be you can write to Rowan and explain to them about your experience.

Anonymous said...

Doreen, your dress is *so* beautiful!! You did such a wonderful job on it! I'm sorry about the bad experience with color running. I'm impressed wiht your resourcefulness in fixing the problem.

Erica Bunker said...

Your dress is beautiful! What a fantastic project!

opportunityknits said...

Oh Doreen, it is fabulous in cream, You did such a wonderful job! I'm so glad the colour remover worked.

Anonymous said...

That's a great looking dress! And fits you so well.

handknit168 said...

It is great u can solve the problem, and the outcome colour is good. Otherwise, the effort of a knitter will be totally wasted.

Ruth said...

I've never heard of a fading dye color problem with Rowan yarn before - how interesting! Glad to hear you were able to fix it. And your dress looks beautiful on you!! =)

Sally said...

Doreen, I acutally like the cream so all's well! Fits you and the length just right. Beautiful!

Laura.Y said...

That is so very strange. The dress turned out very well and you look good in it! So it all worked out great.

Mimi said...

You look so glamorous with this creamy dress!
What a relieve that you could save this dress. Will keep your tip on dyeing . ;)
Now you can start on new projects!

emy said...

Wow! The great thing is you managed to salvage the dress! Pretty!

Chibisan said...

Another fantastic FO by you! It's a shame you had so many problems with the yarn.

Ling said...

OMG - The dress is absolutely gorgeous!! It's really inspired me to try it too. I'd be grateful if you tell me where the pattern is from.

Peggy said...

It's a beautiful dress! I think cream looks better!!